This time of year in North Idaho is hard. Winter is long, days are short, and this year we’ve had non stop snow and ice. Last year my husband and I planned ahead and booked a Caribbean cruise so we would have something to look forward to after the holidays. Obviously with a new baby that wasn’t in the cards this year, but I’m still trying to find things to make the cold, dark days doable. So I was all in when I saw that one of my favorite bloggers, Modern Mrs. Darcy, was “celebrating” the halfway point of winter by hosting a link up for people to share what things are bringing them life in this season.
So without further ado, here is my list of things that are getting me through this time of year:
- My husband— I just love him. He is so helpful and such a good dad!
- Baby snuggles— need I say more?
- Naps (for me and baby)—I love having a little more time to get things done during the day and when I can sneak a nap in myself the extra zzz-s go a long way!
- Leftovers—ALWAYS a good idea.
- Netflix—probably not the BEST thing to be relying on, but we got sick of asking “what do you want to do tonight?” followed by sitting around doing nothing because no one wants to leave the house when it is dark. We thought the free trial would be a good way to get us through the next month until things start picking up around town. Now we’re binge watching all the shows we’ve heard people talk about for the past couple years. Just finished The Crown and Making a Murderer. Up for suggestions if you have any. 🙂
- Mommy Groups— whether it’s something official like my MOPS group or just visiting with other moms during play dates and story times, the connections I’m forming are very life giving. It’s nice to be reminded that I’m not alone!
- Poshmark—I’ve started selling clothes online and it’s been really fun to use the Poshmark app to make a little extra money at my own leisure. (If you want to try it out, use code GHHEI to get a $5 credit.)
- Instant Pot—I LOVE this new kitchen tool. It is a life saver—especially on the days that I forget to defrost the meat for dinner.
- Quiet Time—I’ve gotten back into my daily quiet time routine and I’ve noticed the difference it makes—especially on the days that I miss it.
- Mornings at Home— Partially because of the needed quiet time, and partially because the little guy really needs his morning nap otherwise he is off schedule for the rest of the day. I am learning to schedule things for the afternoons…or just stay home all day, which is sometimes nice as well.
- Baths—every once in awhile I even get to take one by myself! It’s nice to have time to relax and read a little while my husband gets the little one ready for bed.
What’s saving YOU right now?